The amazing landscape, the cozy Meiling and Roca huts and the final navigation in the Nahuel Huapi lake makes Tronador one of the best trekking objectives in northern Patagonia.
Located at the border between Argentina and Chile, nearby the town of Bariloche, Tronador (the one who makes thunder) raises up to 11.200 ft in the middle of several lakes.
Bariloche is our starting point, where we meet, make an introduction to the trip and enjoy dinner together in town.
We drive to Pampa Linda, a beautiful spot on Tronador foothills. From here we start our approach by the Castaño River, which goes though deep Nothofagus forest at the beginning, and follows an exposed moraine between glaciers at the end.
We take advantage of the Meiling Hut facilities, a cozy Refugio with gourmet food, good music and a great wine cellar. On the next day we start hiking mid morning on the glacier by the hut, and after a couple of hours of roped glacier traveling we can have a glimpse of Paso de Las Nubes, deep in the valley, where Refugio Roca is. We descend a technical trail, passing by several amazing waterfalls to get to Roca, a beautiful hut where the views of the condors by the Frias Glacier are always spectacular.
O our last day we move along the river as we get close to the Frias Lake, where a boat crosses us to the other shore. After cruising Frias´turquoise waters, we hike to Blest, a paradisíaco port by the Nahuel Huapi lake, where we take the boat to Bariloche, enjoying fantastic landscapes all the way there. We close our trek with a celebration dinner at the local microbrewery.
● Experience trekking at the best mountaineering objective in the area
● Enjoy the Argentinean cultural experience, its great food, people, and the charming town of Bariloche
● Navigate the Nahuel Huapi lake from Puerto Blest to Bariloche
● Take advantage of the personalized service that makes Andes Mountain Guides the best option in Patagonia.
AMG offers the highests standards on Patagonia climbing trips. Being a small company specialized on custom programs, we offer a personalized service in every aspect, with the advantage of having an office both in Argentina and in the USA. Our fully IFMGA/UIAGM certified guides are elite alpinists with extensive experience working not only in Patagonia but all around the world.
- IFMGA/UIAGM Mountain Guides (English-Spanish)
- All food when trekking/climbing
- 2 Restaurant dinners in town (drinks not included)
- 2 nights full board at the huts (Meiling, Roca)
- Private ground transportation during the trip
- Boat Blest-Bariloche tickets
- Technical gear (ropes, harness, crampons, helmets, etc)
- 24/7 assistance in the US and ARG before and during the program.
- Personal Porters
- Restaurant and Hut drinks
- Personal non-technical equipment
- Personal expenses
- Rescue costs and extra expenses caused by abandoning the trip
- Skill level: Intermediate. Glacier travel. Snow
slopes up to 35 degrees. 6 hour trekking journeys.
- Location: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
- Length: 3 days
- Trekker/guide ratio: 1:1 / 4:1
- Cost per person: 1:1 US$1150 4:1 US$700
- Departure dates: on request from October to April.
Bariloche- Pampa Linda. We pick you up at your hotel where we check gear and arrange the last details. Drive to Pampa Linda, check in with the park rangers and hike 4/5 hours to Meiling Hut at 1900 mts. In the evening we arrange our equipment enjoy dinner at the hut and get ready for summit day. LB, D.
Glaciar Alerce- Refugio Roca. Early in the morning we have breakfast at the hut and start hiking on the glacier to take advantage of the firm frozen snow. We travel roped and equipped with crampons and ice axes. After crossing the glacier we leave our technical gear and start our hike down to the Paso the las Nubes, following a beautiful path along waterfalls and green meadows. 5 hours. B, LB, D.
Refugio Roca- Bariloche. After a relaxed night at the hut we leave it after breakfast. We follow the valley to the Frias lake, where which we cross by boat. Later, after some more hiking, we get to Puerto Blest, from where we navigate the Nahuel Huapi lake to Puerto Pañuelo in Bariloche. We make a stop at the brewery for a deserved celebration before taking you to your Hotel. 5 hours. B. L.