Mt Tronador Ski Mountaineering
● Experience the best ski mountaineering objective in the area
● Ski fresh tracks out of the crowds, enjoying the solitude of Tronador in winter
● Learn and refine your ski mountaineering techniques helped by a top notch guide and local expert.
● Take advantage of the personalized service that makes Andes Mountain Guides the best option in Patagonia.
Located at the border between Argentina and Chile, nearby the town of Bariloche, Tronador (the one who makes thunder) raises up to 11.200 ft in the middle of several lakes. A classics ski mountaineering objective, Tronador offers a great climb through crevassed terrain and a steep technical finale to the Argentinean Peak summit. The views of the North Patagonia area are hard to beat including the lake district and several volcanoes in both countries.
The cozy Meiling Hut, the challenging ascent and a superb downhill ski run makes Tronador one of the best ski mountaineering objectives in northern Patagonia.
• Location: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
• Length: 2 days
• Climber/guide ratio: 1:1 / 2:1
• Cost per person: 1:1 US$750 2:1 US$500
• Departure dates: on request from July to December
- IFMGA/UIAGM Mountain Guides (English-Spanish)
- All food when trekking/climbing
- 1 night Meiling Hut full board
- Private ground transportation during the trip
- Group technical gear (ropes, climbing gear, snow shovel, maps, G.P.S, compass, etc)
- 24/7 assistance before and during the program.
- Not included
- Plane tickets
- Park fees
- Restaurant Meals and those meals not listed in the itinerary
- Hut drinks
- Personal equipment
- Personal expenses
- Rescue costs and extra expenses caused by abandoning the trip
Bariloche- Pampa Linda. We pick you up at your hotel where we check gear and arrange the last details. Drive to Pampa Linda, check in with the park rangers and hike/ski 4 hours to Meiling Hut at 1900 mts. In the evening we do a few laps around the hut, arrange our equipment, enjoy dinner and get ready for summit day. LB, D.
Tronador Summit. Before sunrise we have breakfast at the hut and later we start skinning on the glacier by the hut. Our first challenge will be to traverse the Filo de La Vieja, a sharp ridge that divides two glaciers. After a technical descend from the Filo, we keep ascending though crevasses and seracs until reaching the big plateau before the summit. From here the terrain gets steeper and windier by the pass, so we might change techniques to short roping, pitching and/or rope fixing to deal with the last challenging section that leads us to the summit of the Argentinean Peak. After spending some time on the top, we enjoy superb downhill skiing all the way to the hut. After a quick rest we keep skiing down to Pampa Linda where we get our vehicle. Once in Bariloche we go for the mandatory visit to the microbrewery before taking you to your hotel. B, LB