PATAGONIA 2 SUMMITS
45 degrees. Glacier travel, 10 hour days.
• Location: Los Glaciares N. P., Patagonia, Argentina
• Length: 11 days
• Climber/guide ratio: 1:1 / 2:1
• Cost per person: 1:1 US$4900 2:1 US$3200
• Departure dates: on request from October to March.
- IFMGA/UIAGM Mountain Guides (English-Spanish)
- 4 Hotel nights at Chalten
- All food when trekking/climbing
- Restaurant dinners (drinks not included) as seen on itinerary
- All camping and cooking gear
- Private ground transportation during the trip
- Group technical gear (ropes, climbing gear, snow shovel, maps, G.P.S, compass, etc)
- Satellite phone service
- 24/7 assistance in the US before and during the program.
- Not included
- Plane tickets
- Access fees
- Restaurant Meals and those meals not listed in the itinerary
- Restaurant drinks
- Personal equipment
- Personal expenses
- Rescue costs and extra expenses caused by abandoning the trip
El Calafate. We meet at the airport before driving through the step for for 3 hours to Chalten. After arriving we check in at our Hotel and go out for a welcome dinner, good chance to know each other and make a good introduction of the trip. D.
Cerro Solo Camp. We start hiking towards Laguna Torre until we reach the Fitz Roy rive, which we cross by a tyrolean zip line. After another hour we get close to our basecamp by the creek. HEre we set our tents and get ready for our first objective. 3 to 5 hours. B, LB, D.
Cerro Solo. On our first Summit day we first deal with several feet of mixed scree and snow terrain in order to get to the glacier. From here we rope up and climb until the bottleneck, a steeper section which gives access to the top glacier. A short section of 45 degrees takes us to the ridge, then one last push to the summit. The views from here are stunning: Cerro Torre, Cordon Adela, the south face of Fitz Roy, and the Continental Ice Cap. Back to Camp. 8 to 10 hours roundtrip B, LB, D.
Back to Chalten. After breakfast we’ll start hiking back to town, where hot showers, a comfy bed and a our first celebration dinner will be waiting for us. 4 hours. B, LB, D.
El Chalten. Rest day. Hotel night. B.
Rio Electrico. This day we’ll drive to Electrico’s bridge, from where we’ll start hiking to our first camp at “La Playita” (5 hours).
Marconi Pass. This might be the hardest day and we will use ropes and climbing techniques to deal with the pass. Expect magnificent views of the Continental Ice-cap. We’ll camp at the ice field. Approx. 8 to 9 hrs. B, LB, D.
Gorra Blanca. Summit day! Early wake up call. Light backpacks, only stuff for the day. Our goal is Gorra Blanca summit. We make our way trough seracs and crevasses aiming the west ridge. After getting on the ridge, we head east zig zagging ice mushroom (interesting formation of ice with wind, similar to Gargoyles on Robson). Our guide might fix the last pitch to the summit. If weather is good, you won’t believe the view. Head back to hut/camp to celebrate the nice day out. 1200 altitude gain, 8 to 12 hours depending on snow conditions and fitness of guests.
Back to Chalten. After breakfast we’ll start hiking towards the Eléctrico bridge and then back to town, where hot showers, a comfy bed and a great celebration dinner will be waiting for us. 8 hours. B, LB, D.
Extra day. We’ll use this back up day for weather and other considerations.
El Calafate. Drive back to the airport for your flight home. B