ICE CAP EXPEDITION
Long distances glacier traveling pulling a sled.
• Location: Los Glaciares N. P, Patagonia, Argentina
• Length: 10 days
• Guest/guide ratio: 3:1
• Capacity: 9
• Cost per person: 1:1 US$3150
• Departure dates: on request from October to March.
- IFMGA/UIAGM Mountain Guides (English-Spanish)
- 2 Hotel nights at Chalten
- All food when trekking/climbing
- Restaurant dinners (drinks not included) as seen on itinerary
- All camping and cooking gear
- Private ground transportation during the trip
- Group technical gear (ropes, climbing gear, snow shovel, maps, G.P.S, compass, etc)
- Satellite phone service
- 24/7 assistance in the US before and during the program
- Not included
- Plane tickets
- Access fees
- Restaurant Meals and those meals not listed in the itinerary
- Restaurant drinks
- Personal equipment
- Personal expenses
- Rescue costs and extra expenses caused by abandoning the trip
El Calafate. We meet at the airport before driving through the step for for 3 hours to Chalten. After arriving we check in at our Hotel and go out for a welcome dinner, good chance to know each other and make a good introduction of the trip. D.
Rio Electrico. This day we’ll drive to Electrico’s bridge, from where we’ll start hiking to our first camp at “La Playita” (5 hours).
Marconi Pass. This might be the hardest day and we will use ropes and climbing techniques to deal with the pass. Expect magnificent views of the Continental Ice-cap. We’ll camp at the ice field. Approx. 8 to 9 hrs. B, LB, D.
Circo de los Altares. There are incredible views in this section that can’t be missed; the Cirque is formed by several of the most famous peaks in the climbing world, such as Cerro Torre, Fitz Roy and Egger. Weather permitting, we’ll be able to approach the West face of Cerro Torre, one of the best views in the area. Aprox 5 hours. B, LB, D.
Paso del Viento. After breakfast we’ll start hiking towards Paso del Viento. Heading South we’ll traverse until getting out of the glacier, to approach the Refugio through rocky terrain. 8 hours.
Day. B, LB, D.
Laguna Toro. Trek over Paso del Viento and then down the Tunnel valley to get to Laguna Toro. In a clear day, there are excellent panoramic views of Mariano Moreno Range and Viedma Glacier. The terrain is rocky with screes and we’ll get across a short section of Glacier Tunel. There is a river crossing near Laguna Toro with a cable zip-line or by foot at he bottom of the valley. Camp at “Laguna Toro”. B, LB, D.
El Chalten. Trek back to El Chaltén over the “Pliegue Tumbado”, it´ll take about 5-6 hs. Showers and a traditional Argentinean BBQ to celebrate the trip. B, LB, D.
Extra days. These days could be used for resting or as weather days, based on the guide’s judgment. B, LB, D.
Transfer from El Chaltén to El Calafate. End of our services. B.